In 1774 a party of surveyors, commissioned by George Washington, traveled down the Kanawha River until they came upon an area at the mouth of a creek where they found trees all bent in the same direction. They called the location “the place of the hurricane” after discovering the bent trees. The creek became known as Hurricane Creek and by 1811, according to early Virginia maps, the town of Hurricane Bridge appeared where Route 34 now crosses that creek near Route 60.
Hurricane Bridge became a stage coach stop and a thriving livestock market area. In 1873 completion of a single track railroad by Collis P. Huntington connected the Chesapeake and the Ohio rivers, which then caused the town of Hurricane Bridge to be slightly relocated. At that time, the railroad brought hotels and stores so the name was changed to Hurricane Station. In 1888, the town was incorporated and formally named Hurricane. Hurricane began to grow tremendously in the 1960’s as construction of Interstate 64 gave easy access to both Charleston and Huntington. The town became ideal for persons working in both cities and the population rose to 3,000 in the 1970’s, changing the status of the town to a city.
Hurricane has now become a progressive area experiencing major growth. With the population consistently rising, Hurricane is the ideal location for both families, residents, and travelers. Local businesses, hotels, and national retailers can all be found in Hurricane whether located in town off Main Street, or conveniently off Interstate 64. Hurricane has achieved many recognitions like being named by Bloomberg Businessweek The Best Place to Raise a Family in West Virginia in 2013, and home to a U.S Top 50 Playground from Early Childhood Education Zone in 2014. Hurricane continues to excel in many aspects, and is the perfect place for families to reside, and travelers to visit!
Links to Hurricane Historical Facts, Articles, and More